Liverpool looking for a new defensive midfielder for the new season. Ahead of their first game in the Premier League, they changed their target from Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia, whom they had been chasing, and set their sights on Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo, who was believed to be on the verge of a move to Chelsea.
Liverpool, who made the highest offer in England’s history, reached an inter-club agreement with Brighton and prepared contract documents and medical checks. However, the Ecuadorian midfielder only wanted to go to Chelsea and turned Liverpool down.
Although they have not withdrawn from the race for Caicedo, it is true that it has become more difficult to get him, and he is expected to return to the Belgian midfielder again.
As if to harass them, Chelsea has reached an agreement with Southampton on a transfer fee, and all eyes are on Liverpool to see if they are prepared to pay the asking price.
According to Sacha Tavolieri, Lavia’s arrival at Chelsea is not going smoothly, with talks not even being conducted yet. In addition, she also reported that the 19-year-old midfielder is prioritizing playing at Anfield.
“Weird situation for Romeo Lavia though. Been told the player – worried about Southampton requests – was expected Liverpool and don’t have direct contact with Chelsea that are passing through talks between clubs & informing the representatives.”
“Southampton are creating a confusing situation as they are not making the life of the young talent easy. Mind of the player still doesn’t change.”
🔴🇧🇪 Weird situation for Romeo Lavia though. Been told the player – worried about #SouthamptonFC requests – was expected #Liverpool and don't have direct contact with #ChelseaFC that are passing through talks between clubs & informing the representatives. Southampton are creating…— Sacha Tavolieri (@sachatavolieri) August 12, 2023